If you can’t get an iPad, what can you get?

iPad accounts for 89%, but what’s the other 11%

Recently it’s been announced that the iPad accounts for an incredibly impressive 89% of global tablet usage. While it had always been expected that the iPad would be the major tablet in use around the world, the shear volume has been somewhat surprising.

Ever since the iPad hit the Market two years ago, competitors have been quick to jump on the bandwagon (quicker than the handset one). So what exactly are the alternatives?

Samsung offer the best alternatives, with two tablets; Galaxy Tab and v10.1 which are both very impressive devices running android. The original Galaxy is small at about 7inch screen space and is a pretty nice tablet to give the light users. It’s flash enabled and the nice screen is great for magazines and newspapers. 10.1 which is a larger, newer version of the Galaxy tab is for perhaps a more advanced user, running the latest Android OS, it’s slim with a nice big screen. Probably the closest competitors to the iPad.

Samsung tablet

The Samsung Galaxy Tab, one of the best alternatives to the iPad

HTC who produce probably the best Android and WP7 handsets have tried their hand at tablets with the Flyer, it’s a nice little 7inch tablet running Android 3.0 Gingerbread. Slightly bulkier than the iPad, it feels like a solid device, and also looks pretty good in the hand. Unusually for a modern tablet, it comes with a stylus pen, while it’s nice to have as an option it does make the otherwise swish tablet feel quite dated.

HTC Flyer tablet

HTC Flyer tablet from one of the biggest Android manufacturers

The BlackBerry PlayBook is really the last of the big competition to the iPad, the HP Slate just never caught on after being pulled a few times, and the Acer Iconia runs the whole Windows OS, making it awkward. But the PlayBook has been recently released, it’s slim, smooth and overall a very nice tablet. Running the same OS as the International Space Station this tablet is a very reliable sort, with an easy to use operating system and. Multitasking natively.

BlackBerry Playbook

If it's good enough for astronauts... the BlackBerry Playbook

There’s a good selection of other tablets available on the Market, with probably many more going to be released, but for the time being the iPad corners the Market, and it’s easy to see why. All of the above tablets are available in Ireland either through mobile operators or PC World and HMV.

Advertisements

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s